Today I have been mostly...

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tearing my hair out at the roots....

Oh where do I start? It’s exactly the same “shopping problem” that I have had with the husband before. He is SO infuriating. I really don’t know why he just doesn’t leave it to someone else – like me? This time it’s an anorak. He needs a new one because (he says) the one he wears to go to Job 1 is old and tatty now. This is very true, but it must be at least 25 years old, and was originally from somewhere like M&S. In fact if I bought it, or if he had it as an Xmas present from my mum, then yes – it will have been bought from there. And that’s why it has lasted so long. The anorak he wears when he goes to Job 2 is revolting. This wasn’t really helped by him putting it down on a hotplate on the cooker the other week. He had actually been warned they were still hot. And anyway – who puts their coat down on a cooker?

So as well as being revolting, there is a big melted hole in the lining. There are still remnants of melted coat on the hotplate that won’t come off. So, he has decided, he wants a new coat to wear to Job 1. I am assuming, then that the old frayed current Job 1 coat will be demoted to taking him to Job 2. I should add, as well, that current holey Job 2 coat isn’t anywhere near as old as Job 1 coat – it’s one he bought, cheap.

Last week when we were in town, he decided to look in Millets. Goodness knows why! He needs to go somewhere like BHS, M&S or TJ Hughes. They sell the type of coat he is looking for. He tried one on, but it made him look like a prat. He didn’t buy it, not because of the ‘prat’ issue, but because he thought it’s waterproof quality would mean that rain would run off it and make his trousers wet. It was at this point that I suggested the type of place he needs to go. He actually agreed, but as he had tried on one coat already and because (he says) it’s too hot in shops to be trying on coats, we didn’t pursue the matter further.

So, yesterday he decided the best thing to do was go into town to the new camping shop to look for a new anorak. I decided NOT to go. I just can’t bear shopping with him. He doesn’t listen to any advise I have to offer, so there is little point. Naturally he came home empty handed. Why am I not surprised?

Apparently the ones in the camping shop were “a ridiculous price”. I did suggest (again) that he was looking in the wrong type of shop. I even offered to get him one for his birthday which is looming up rather quickly. I’d rather get him one that looks reasonable and will last. I don’t think spending something like £50 or so on a coat is a ridiculous price. The problem is, he likes a bargain. It would be worth it to get one from M&S, cut the label off and say it was £10 from the market. He’d love it then. (Mind you, if I did that, you can guarantee he would want another as a spare.)

So anyway – apparently he came to the same conclusion as me. He was looking in the wrong place. So he went back to Millets and was disappointed that prat coat from last week had been sold. He then went to TJ Hughes and found a perfect anorak – except the collar was grey. This was no use, as he said “it would get dirty really quickly”. Personally I don’t think grey gets dirty any more quickly than any other colour, it would get dirty at the same rate. If anything I would have thought grey would LOOK less dirty than, say, a white collar. But then, there is such a things as WASHING. I know he finds this a difficult concept to comprehend.

So the anorak saga continues. I can’t get into town to get one for him because he doesn’t like being left behind on his own anymore. The other thing he did yesterday was tell me exactly why he was unable to cut the lawns at the moment. Mainly it was because there was no room in the green bin this week. He then went out to cut the lawns. The reason why there is no room in the green bin is because I used to have a bamboo plant…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters