Today I have been mostly...

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Feeling more than a little foolish...

Jenni and I were watching X-Factor when we first heard the fireworks. But we didn’t immediately rush over to the window to see them, because invariably when you do that, it’s too late. But then we commented on how they were going on a bit – they were good ones too – they sounded expensive. “A few pounds worth there!” we commented. We carried on watching X-Factor. More fireworks – they were in the distance – but definitely at the back of the house. We still didn’t feel the need to go and watch. Too busy!! Jenni was getting ready to go out, straightening her hair, putting several coats of nail varnish on, etc. And still the fireworks were going. We realised now that this was some impressive display – and never mind X-Factor, this was now definitely worth going to take a look! Well obviously I was too lazy to get up, but Jenni went – and there was nothing. No hint of fireworks. Typical, we thought – fireworks non-stop for an impressive 25 minutes or so – and when you get up to look – they finish. But then they started up again – and she realised where they were coming from. It was my screensaver.

I had completely forgotten that I’d decided to have a change from the Diagnosis Murder screensaver I’ve had on most of the summer! I had completely forgotten the screensaver I’d chosen had fireworks on it – and that there was sound with it – and that it was so bloody realistic! Oh how we laughed – well you had to be there really. I guess it would have been a great April Fool – but the fact that there are fireworks going off intermittently anyway at the moment added to the realism. I just wish I’d done it on purpose, because then it would have been hilarious! Oh well!!

This morning was infuriating. Had a stupid “conversation” about frozen chicken with Other Half. Apparently there has been a major cock-up at local supermarket and what should have been fresh, unfrozen chicken was accidentally put in the freezer – so it was being sold off really cheap to staff, with a warning about not re-freezing it. Great – I thought – get lots! “Ah!” said Other Half, “But it can’t be re-frozen” - I explained that it didn’t matter, I wasn’t planning on re-freezing it! “But…” he went on, “we’d have to eat it all today”. I explained that we wouldn’t – we would merely keep it in the freezer until we needed it… “Ah!” said Other Half” (repetitive, isn’t he?) “But it can’t be re-frozen”. I explained that I knew it couldn’t be re-frozen – but then it occurred to me that he must have meant that it had been accidentally frozen and then de-frosted – in which case he might have a point (although I’d have just cooked it and frozen it – because you can – but I realised he might not know that so I went into details about freezing etc.) But no! This wasn’t the case at all. Apparently it had been accidentally frozen – but it was STILL frozen. So what was the problem? He seems to think that if you buy it frozen from the shop and bring it home – and then put it in your freezer (even though it hasn’t de-frosted in the 5 minute journey home) – then THAT is classed as re-freezing. Even though I was starting to lose patience by now, I tried to explain that as it was STILL frozen – it was NOT “re-freezing” – and 4 nice plump chicken breasts for 50p is too good a bargain to miss. Anyway – for the next half hour or so, over breakfast, he kept randomly coming out with, “Do not re-freeze – I wonder what that means?” to himself. Anyway – he didn’t get any in the end – because he “didn’t want to chance it as you can’t be too careful”. I don’t know why he is so worried about food poisoning – he’s more likely to be beaten about the head with a packet of fish-fingers (non-re-frozen). What planet are they from?? (Men I mean – not fish-fingers!)

I might put that screensaver on later and see how long it before he starts to complain about fireworks going off all night!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters