Today I have been mostly...

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Buying light bulbs...

Why do they all “go” at the same time? Why do I never have the sense to keep spares? Am I that disorganised? Would I just rather spend my money on much needed chocolate than spare bulbs? (Yes is the answer to that last one.)

Well anyway – I groped about in the dark for a couple of days, because, of course, I don’t think about buying replacements when it’s light – it’s only when I need the light that I think about it, by which time the shop is closed or I can’t be bothered. But they are done now!

At least I do replace them. I really don’t know what would happen if I wasn’t here to do it. Like the other things I do that no one else would, e.g. changing the sheets, washing tea-towels and cleaning the toilet. Yes – all the glamorous jobs! The resident male’s answer to the lack of bathroom light was to light a candle. Several candles might have been better, but he chose a tea-light in a pink and green glass tea-light holder which made it about 100 times less bright than just a tea-light. I was surprised to find a candle in there on Wednesday morning, when I got up – but not at all surprised that he came home without a new one – despite him working opposite a shop that sells bulbs. I had to wait in for the gas man on Wednesday, followed by a trip to the vet, and wasn’t in a bulb – or anything else – buying mood that day. So we managed with the dull candle till I got some on Thursday. It is actually quite relaxing having a bath by candle light – if you can get over being cross about being the only one who replaces the stupid bulbs.

Talking of baths – I’m still enjoying the glorious post-Christmas excess of lovely smelling bath additions – and have several Lush bath bombs which always make me feel quite deliciously decadent. They smell wonderful and some of them can be quite surprising, especially if it’s one you haven’t had before. I had a white one this morning – there were a few red ‘bits’ in it, and a red star. Inside there was a message telling me that my wish had been granted! Perhaps I should have looked more closely at the bomb details first to know that this might have been a possibility – then I could have made a suitable wish! Is the granting of the wish null and void because I haven’t made a recent one? Does it just work on the last wish I made? Are there any bath bombs with “Better luck next time” messages? Do Lush grant ALL wishes – and more to the point – what on earth WAS my last wish? Could it perhaps work on the next wish I make? Should I dash out for a lottery ticket? Would ‘world peace’ be a less selfish wish? Should I just be greedy??

Problem is, of course, I have a feeling my last wish was something silly like everlasting light bulbs. Now I can see many people would benefit from this, so it’s not completely selfish – but what of the poor bulb-factory workers? What would become of them?

Can I cope with all the guilt this early in the morning? Baths are supposed to be relaxing, aren’t they? You would have thought I’d learnt my bath bomb lesson of checking the contents after walking round for pretty much an entire day wondering why I felt so uncomfortable – to eventually discover a stray lavender spring nestled between my arse cheeks! Which reminds me – I don’t remember seeing the red star floating about in the bath water…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters